Main Day Two
8:00 am - 9:00 am Registration & Welcome Coffee
9:05 am - 9:15 am Chairman's Opening RemarksRear Admiral Paul Becker (Ret) - Former Director for Intelligence (J2) Joint Chiefs of Staff (2013-2016)
9:05 am - 9:45 am Peruvian Navy Procurement & Operational InsightsVice Admiral Jorge Millones Gonzales - General Commander of Operations of the Amazon Peruvian Navy
• Peru Navy’s recent and current procurements
• Naval operations in the Amazon – ISR and narcotics interdiction
Vice Admiral Jorge Millones GonzalesGeneral Commander of Operations of the Amazon
9:45 am - 10:15 am Four Star Lead Partner Address from L3
10:15 am - 10:45 am Maritime Security In The Gulf Of Aden And BamCommodore Steve Dainton - Commander United Kingdom Maritime Component Command
10:45 am - 11:15 am Reserved for Vitec
11:15 am - 11:45 am Coffee & Networking
10:15 am - 10:45 am Coastal Surveillance In A Hostile RegionBrigadier General Ibrahim Nuemat - Chief of the Navy Royal Jordanian Navy
• The challenges associated with monitoring narrow straits and coastlines
• Defence systems in place to secure the southern Jordanian port of Aqaba and its waters
• Port expansion in Jordan and the implications for security and intelligence cooperation between civil and military entities
• Jordan’s naval capabilities and contribution to maritime security and ISR in the region
• Combined Maritime Forces contributions and insights into recent operational successes
Brigadier General Ibrahim NuematChief of the Navy
Royal Jordanian Navy
12:15 pm - 12:45 pm Reserved for Aerodata
12:15 pm - 12:45 pm Air Defence & Maritime Security – The Necessary Connection In MDAGroup Captain Piriyathrone Suwanruji - Air Defense Center Royal Thai Air Force
• What is the link between air defence and maritime domain awareness/security in the Asia Pacific?
• How can air defence operators contribute to maritime domain awareness and rapid response to emerging threats?
• The Rohingya crisis update and case study
Group Captain Piriyathrone SuwanrujiAir Defense Center
Royal Thai Air Force
1:05 pm - 1:50 pm Global Industry Leaders Panel: Acquisition And Innovation In Today’s Maritime ISR Market
• How should current R&D and acquisition practices adapt to the rapid rate of technological innovation in the future?
• What are the challenges in identifying new requirements, preparing bids and competing for funding in the maritime ISR market?
• What are the most significant process/technical innovations underway in your organisation?
1:50 pm - 2:50 pm Lunch & Networking
2:50 pm - 3:20 pm Managing The ASW Challenge: The Advancement Of Subsurface Technologies And The Implications For Maritime ISRDr Kevin LePage - Anti-Submarine Warfare Programme Manager NATO CMRE
• The latest generation submarine threat – what are the implications for maritime ISR asset design and deployment? i.e. ASW technology, unmanned systems, advanced acoustic processing and artificial intelligence.
• How can we prove the success of ASW assets in this context?
• Challenges in integrating undersea platforms into a broader MDA framework, such as USVs and seabed infrastructure acting as network gateways, and single-use communications buoys
Dr Kevin LePageAnti-Submarine Warfare Programme Manager
3:20 pm - 3:50 pm ISR In The Littoral EnvironmentLieutenant Colonel Jan Willem van Dijk - Senior Policy Advisor, Directorate Plans, Maritime Operations Dutch Ministry of Defence
• National littoral operational concept 2035
• FLITOC project
• Maritime ISR in complex littorals
Lieutenant Colonel Jan Willem van DijkSenior Policy Advisor, Directorate Plans, Maritime Operations
Dutch Ministry of Defence
3:50 pm - 4:30 pm The Maritime Unmanned Undersea Operational Concept
• Advancing unmanned system technology for the maritime domain – asymmetric economy of scale, power and energy, swarming
• How can navies achieve a swarm structure? What operational advantage would this give?
• In developing an unmanned swarm operational concept, what are the implications for manned aerial, surface and subsurface fleets in terms of structural and software design and networking?
• Are NATO and partner nations trained and equipped to operate during a crisis where data dissemination capacity is limited?
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Afternoon Tea & Networking
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm Maritime Surveillance Enhancement: Ocean2020Captain Onofrio Marco Frumusa - Head of Research and Programs Office, Aviation Department Italian Navy General Staff
• The European Defence Fund objectives and mission statement
• Outlining Ocean2020 – short to long term plan and budget
• Future deepening of European military cooperation and defence industrial base collaboration
Captain Onofrio Marco FrumusaHead of Research and Programs Office, Aviation Department
Italian Navy General Staff
5:30 pm - 6:00 pm Game Changer – Cyber Security In The Maritime DomainRalph Thiele - Chairman Political-Military Society
• Outlining NATO’s cyber problem
• Cyber vulnerability in the maritime domain – what should the naval approach be?
• Issues of escalation and deterrence: what type of cyber challenge would trigger the European alliance’s collective self-defence provision?