Main Day Two
8:00 am - 9:00 am Registration & Welcome Coffee
9:05 am - 9:15 am Chairman's Opening RemarksRear Admiral Paul Becker (Ret) - Former Director for Intelligence (J2) Joint Chiefs of Staff (2013-2016)
9:05 am - 9:45 am Peruvian Navy Procurement & Operational InsightsVice Admiral Jorge Millones Gonzales - General Commander of Operations of the Amazon Peruvian Navy
• Peru Navy’s recent and current procurements
• Naval operations in the Amazon – ISR and narcotics interdiction
Vice Admiral Jorge Millones GonzalesGeneral Commander of Operations of the Amazon
9:45 am - 10:15 am Four Star Lead Partner Address from L3
10:05 am - 10:35 am The Us Marine Corps Future Unmanned Aerial System: ‘The MUX’
• Outlining the USMC requirement for a future organic drone capability
• Working with industry to define a future UAS system – challenges, opportunities
• Future Vertical Lift and USMC airborne maritime ISR power
10:45 am - 11:15 am Reserved for Vitec
11:15 am - 11:45 am Coffee & Networking
11:45 am - 12:15 pm Coastal Surveillance In A Hostile RegionBrigadier General Ibrahim Nuemat - Chief of the Navy Royal Jordanian Navy
• The challenges associated with monitoring narrow straits and coastlines
• Defence systems in place to secure the southern Jordanian port of Aqaba and its waters
• Port expansion in Jordan and the implications for security and intelligence cooperation between civil and military entities
• Jordan’s naval capabilities and contribution to maritime security and ISR in the region
• Combined Maritime Forces contributions and insights into recent operational successes
Brigadier General Ibrahim NuematChief of the Navy
Royal Jordanian Navy
12:05 pm - 12:35 pm The Quest For Maritime Domain Awareness
12:05 pm - 12:35 pm Air Defence & Maritime Security – The Necessary Connection In MDAGroup Captain Piriyathrone Suwanruji - Air Defense Center Royal Thai Air Force
• What is the link between air defence and maritime domain awareness/security in the Asia Pacific?
• How can air defence operators contribute to maritime domain awareness and rapid response to emerging threats?
• The Rohingya crisis update and case study
Group Captain Piriyathrone SuwanrujiAir Defense Center
Royal Thai Air Force
1:05 pm - 1:50 pm Global Industry Leaders Panel: Acquisition And Innovation In Today’s Maritime ISR Market
• How should current R&D and acquisition practices adapt to the rapid rate of technological innovation in the future?
• What are the challenges in identifying new requirements, preparing bids and competing for funding in the maritime ISR market?
• What are the most significant process/technical innovations underway in your organisation?
1:50 pm - 2:50 pm Lunch & Networking
2:50 pm - 3:20 pm India's Maritime Security StrategyCaptain Dr Gurpreet S Khurana - Executive Director National Maritime Foundation
• Defining India’s maritime security strategy and how this relates to acquisition of ISR assets such as submarines and helicopters
• Conceptualisations of the Indo-Pacific Concept and the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue
• Hybrid threats in the Indo-Pacific maritime domain: piracy, terror and state-sponsored activity
Captain Dr Gurpreet S KhuranaExecutive Director
National Maritime Foundation
2:50 pm - 3:20 pm Managing The ASW Challenge: The Advancement Of Subsurface Technologies And The Implications For Maritime ISRDr Kevin LePage - Anti-Submarine Warfare Programme Manager NATO CMRE
• The latest generation submarine threat – what are the implications for maritime ISR asset design and deployment? i.e. ASW technology, unmanned systems, advanced acoustic processing and artificial intelligence.
• How can we prove the success of ASW assets in this context?
• Challenges in integrating undersea platforms into a broader MDA framework, such as USVs and seabed infrastructure acting as network gateways, and single-use communications buoys
Dr Kevin LePageAnti-Submarine Warfare Programme Manager
3:50 pm - 4:30 pm The Maritime Unmanned Undersea Operational Concept
• Advancing unmanned system technology for the maritime domain – asymmetric economy of scale, power and energy, swarming
• How can navies achieve a swarm structure? What operational advantage would this give?
• In developing an unmanned swarm operational concept, what are the implications for manned aerial, surface and subsurface fleets in terms of structural and software design and networking?
• Are NATO and partner nations trained and equipped to operate during a crisis where data dissemination capacity is limited?
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Afternoon Tea & Networking
5:05 pm - 5:35 pm China’s Maritime Intelligence Architecture: From Space To The UnderseaCapt James Fannell (Ret) - Government Fellow Geneva Centre for Security Policy
• China’s ‘maritime sovereignty campaign’ and Maritime Intelligence Architecture
• China’s space ISR strategy and implications for forces in the Asia Pacific region
• Are our tactical ISR nodes sufficient for early warning and response to further territorial encroachment?
Capt James Fannell (Ret)Government Fellow
Geneva Centre for Security Policy
5:30 pm - 6:00 pm Game Changer – Cyber Security In The Maritime DomainRalph Thiele - Chairman Political-Military Society
• Outlining NATO’s cyber problem
• Cyber vulnerability in the maritime domain – what should the naval approach be?
• Issues of escalation and deterrence: what type of cyber challenge would trigger the European alliance’s collective self-defence provision?