Space Focus Day
9:30 am - 10:30 am Registration & Welcome Breakfast
10:30 am - 10:35 am Defence IQ Welcome Remarks
10:35 am - 10:45 am Chairman's Opening RemarksRear Admiral Paul Becker (Ret) - Former Director for Intelligence (J2), Joint Chiefs of Staff (2013-2016)
Rear Admiral Paul Becker (Ret)Former Director for Intelligence (J2)
Joint Chiefs of Staff (2013-2016)
10:45 am - 10:50 am Four Star Lead Partner Welcome Address
10:50 am - 11:30 am A Future in Space Technology for the Maritime DomainProfessor Roberto Battiston - President, Italian Space Agency
• Italy’s contribution to human spaceflight and in international space cooperation
• Developments in space technology, such as nanosatellites and data analysis systems and their impact on maritime defence and security
Professor Roberto BattistonPresident
Italian Space Agency
11:30 am - 12:00 pm Delivering Independent, Global, Precise, Commercial Activity-Based Intelligence DataAir Commodore Peter Round (Ret) - Chairman, Kleos Space
• Kleos: A start-up that’s not a start-up and a space company that’s not about space.
• What: Data from Low Earth Orbit
• Who: Who wants the data?
• How: Space!
• New-Space: How Kleos will exploit this limitless opportunity
Air Commodore Peter Round (Ret)Chairman
12:40 pm - 1:40 pm Lunch & Networking
12:00 pm - 12:40 pm U.S. Dod Space S&T Priorities, Partnerships & InvestmentJoseph Casas - S&T Small Missions and DoD Formulation Manager, Partnerships and Formulation Office and Manager, OSD JCTD Arctic Collaborative Environment (ACE) S&T, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
• NASA’s work with the OSD in supporting their space S&T strategy
• Current partnerships and investment
• Major technological challenges faced today
Joseph CasasS&T Small Missions and DoD Formulation Manager, Partnerships and Formulation Office and Manager, OSD JCTD Arctic Collaborative Environment (ACE) S&T
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
1:40 pm - 2:10 pm Romanian Navy ISR Capabilities: Future Isr Development Opportunities Using Satellite CommunicationsColonel Adrian Brinza - Commander, Radio-Electronic Brigade, Romanian Navy
• The role and strategic objective of the ROU Navy Radio-Electronic Brigade
• ISR capabilities of the Romanian Navy
• Satellite communications to support Romanian Navy operations – challenges, opportunities
Colonel Adrian BrinzaCommander, Radio-Electronic Brigade
3:10 pm - 3:40 pm Afternoon Tea
3:40 pm - 4:10 pm Commercial Space & Ubiquitous ISRProfessor Guy Thomas - Director, C-SIGMA
• Maximizing the use of available commercial satellites sensors
• Integrating data/products from RADAR, Electro-optical, AIS, & RF monitoring satellites
• Partner engagement to improve access to family of space systems
Professor Guy ThomasDirector
4:10 pm - 4:40 pm Improved Situation Awareness from Seabed to Space with LightSpace Technologies volumetric 3D image display technology
• There are a broad range of applications of 3D displays to command and control problems, including Airspace Management, Mission planning, Air Tasking Order (ATO) fly out, Combat Assessment, Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) Planning & Execution, Satellite orbit analysis, surface mobility analysis, visualization of complex data states relative to geography, and space situational awareness.
• Visualization of inherently 3D situations—such as deconfliction, intervisibility, air operations, satellite constellations, terrain/building structures, and complex battlespace data—is significantly hampered when projected onto a 2D medium.
• LightSpace Technologies s-series bench-top 3D display workstations are based around multi-plane time-multiplexed volumetric 3D image display technology at the core of which lies the proprietary switchable diffuser technology, also developed by LightSpace Technologies, and a fast rear image projection. The system delivers high spatial and angular resolution with a real-time 3D image representation capability, at the same time ensuring precise geometry of voxels across the whole screen in all spatial coordinates.
• The display technology naturally offers omnidirectional multi-view from practical observation angles, with all the major 3D depth cues (physical and psychological), including true parallax.
4:40 pm - 5:10 pm Commercial Space Innovation In The European UnionEmilien Watelet - Chairman, Aeronautics, Space & Dual-Technologies, Enterprise Europe Network
• Current state of commercial space in the EU
• SME contribution to government space procurement
• Role of the EEN
Emilien WateletChairman, Aeronautics, Space & Dual-Technologies
Enterprise Europe Network